- $1,100 E.M. KOEPPEL Annual Short Fiction Award. Other awards: $100 Editors’ Choices, $500 Scholarship. Length: 3,000 words max. Entry: $15 for 1 unpublished story. $10 each additional story. Include title, name, address, bio, phone, e-mail on cover sheet. Title only on second cover sheet. Deadline: April 30. Guidelines, results: www.writecorner.com. Address: Writecorner Press, P.O. Box 140310, Gainesville, FL 32614.
- 2014 AHSAHTA PRESS Chapbook Contest is open April 1–30. Prize is $1,000 and 100 copies of the chapbook. Susan Briante is judge. Submit a 25–40 page chapbook manuscript through our electronic submission manager only. Complete guidelines at ahsahtapress.org.
- CARVE MAGAZINE’S 2014 Raymond Carver Short Story Contest open April 1–May 15. Prizes $1,500, $500, $250, and two Editor’s Choice, $125 each. All 5 winners published in Fall 2014 issue and considered by lit agencies. Entry fee $17 online/$15 mailed. No limit to number of entries. Max 6,000 words. http://carvezine.com/raymond-carver-contest.
- CHAPBOOK Competition—Slapering Hol Press. Submissions accepted February 15–May 15 from poets without previously published collections or chapbooks. Winner receives $1,000 and the Sanger-Stewart Endowed Readingat the Hudson Valley Writers’ Center. Entries must be postmarked within the submission period and include a $20 reading fee. For complete guidelines visit www .writerscenter.org.
- CRAB CREEK REVIEW 2014 Poetry Contest. Judge: Sarah Vap (Arco Iris, End of the Sentimental Journey: A Mystery Poem). $200 plus publication. Submit up to 3 poems. $10 entry fee. All entries considered for publication. Winner and finalists will appear in Crab Creek Review. Deadline: May 15. Full guidelines: http://crabcreekreview.org/contest.htm.
- 14TH ANNUAL Spokane Prize for Short Fiction: $2,000 plus publication. All U.S. authors eligible. Postmark deadline: May 15. Send manuscript (98 pages, 3 story minimum), $25 entry fee, and SASE to: Willow Springs Editions, 501 N. Riverpoint Blvd., Ste. 425, Spokane, WA 99202. Or, submit online at wse.submittable.com. For more information, visit sites.ewu.edu/wseditions.
- MID-AMERICAN REVIEW 2014 Fineline Competition, judged by Lindsay Hunter, author of “Don’t Kiss Me” and “Daddy.” Contest deadline is June 1, 2014. Contest is for previously unpublished work only—if the work has appeared in print or online, in any form or part, or under any title, or has been contracted for such, it is ineligible and will be disqualified. There is a 500-word limit for each poem or short. A $10 entry fee (payable online for online submissions, or check or money order made out to Mid-American Review for submissions by post) is required for each set of three prose poems/short short stories. Entry fees are non-refundable. All participants will receive Mid-American Review v. XXXV, no. 1, where the winners will be published. This is our first 35th anniversary issue, and we will be celebrating the flash fiction/prose poem form! Submissions will not be returned. Manuscripts need not be left anonymous. Contest is open to all writers, except those associated with the judge or Mid-American Review, past or present. Our judge’s decision is final.
- AMERICAN FICTION Short Story Award. New Rivers Press will publish approximately 20 previously unpublished short stories by emerging authors in American Fiction Volume 14. We seek well-crafted, character driven literary fiction in any genre. $1,750 in prizes for short fiction (maximum 10,000 words): $1,000/first place, $500/second, $250/third. Finalist judge TBA. Reading fee of $16 for each online submission from February 1 to June 15 at https://newriverspress.submittable.com/submit. Further details at newriverspress.com.
- BACKBONE PRESS is accepting submissions for our annual Lucille Clifton Poetry Prize. Send up to 5 unpublished poems. Prize is $250 and publication via our website. The final judge will be Nikki Giovanni. Deadline: June 15. Entry fee: $10. Visit our website for guidelines:http://backbonepress.org/contests.
- $500 PRIZE plus publication awarded for 20–28 page chapbook manuscript. The Annual Dream Horse Press Poetry Chapbook Prize. All entries considered for publication. Deadline: June 30. Reading fee: $17. Dream Horse Press, P.O. Box 2080, Aptos, CA 95001. Include e-mail for results; bio; acknowledgments. Complete guidelines: http://www.dreamhorsepress.com.
- ANNUAL Whispering Prairie Press Writing Awards. Cash prizes in 3 categories: poetry, flash fiction, personal essay. $100/$50/$25/HM. Closes June 30. Entry fees: $10 each, or 3 for $25 with chance for publication. Option to compete for prize money, only, $5 single entry. May mix categories. For complete guidelines, visit www.wppress.org/main/contest.